Full biomedical services
Our broad range of expertise includes:
- Review and gap analysis of biomedical engineering services
- Management of tender process for biomedical engineering services
- Setup of in-house biomedical services
- AS/NZS3003 design review and construction advice
- AS/NZS3003/2500/3551 standards training and information sessions
- Short term management / change management for current biomedical engineering departments
- Regulatory Affairs consulting for manufacturers/distributors including ARTG listing for medical devices
- Consulting on equipment selection and procurement
- Consulting on new building and refurbishment of existing facilities
Medical gas design
We have over 31 years of experience in medical gas design.
Our knowledge of
- standards development – specifically AS2896,
- providing third party on-going service to hospitals, and
- clinical engineering, from continually working in hospitals and understanding of how a hospital works,
allows us to design medical gas systems that
- are efficient,
- satisfy a healthcare facilities gas delivery needs,
- ensure security of supply,
- conform to standards requirements, and
- allow for flexibility and expansion of a facility.
AS/NZS3003 patient area design and
We design and commission new or upgraded Cardiac and Body Protected Areas as per the requirements of the Australian Standards.
A wide industry involvement with professionally qualified engineers and input into standards allows us to provide a service unequalled by any other business in NSW and the ACT. These qualities allow us to help ensure your healthcare facility satisfies the statutory requirements of AS/NZS3003.
We also provide training courses on AS/NZs 3003 on every release of a new version.
AS/NZS3000 requires all patient areas including doctors and dental surgeries to comply with AS/NZS3003.
AS/NZS3003 is not just nice to have. It’s the law.
3551 testing, repairs and management
We provide traditional third party biomedical engineering services to hospitals in line with AS/NZS3551 as well as OEM/Distributor Biomedical Engineering Services.
Our place on the Standards Committee gives us a unique position to understand not only how to implement the standard, but the rationale behind the requirements.
We understand your requirements even when you don’t. That’s our job.
Whether you require a permanent on-site presence, or scheduled visits to conduct annual critical performance testing, or a partner to oversee the complete lifecycle management of medical equipment, we can provide the level of service you require. Our flexibile engagement model will be tailored to suit you: from do-and-charge, to fully comprehensive models.
SC Medical can also provide short term supplementary services to assist your in-house team. We utilise a custom developed database to manage all medical equipment within a hospital and across multiple locations.
SC Medical provides installation of Medical Gas Systems to AS/NZS2896 and Patient Electrical Systems AS/NZS3003 to the construction industry, imaging equipment suppliers or to hospitals directly.
Our knowledge of the standards, and over 150 years cumulative experience of medical gas and electrical construction, is your reassurance of getting it right the first time. This avoids any late variations or delays at the commissioning stage due to non-compliance.
We are also unique in being able to off er both medical gas and electrical services. This minimises the points of contact of contractors and the coordination required on any installation. This is a particular advantage since coordinating gas and electrical services is time consuming, given both services are often co-located.
Clinical area fit outs
SC Medical has transformed office blocks into hospitals. We can provide the project management/consulting services for any small- to medium-sized construction job. Not only do we have extensive project management experience across the industry, but the fact that we are involved in the on-going service and maintenance of facilities allows us to see what works and, more importantly, what doesn’t.
The pitfalls other project managers never see 1-2 years after completion we have likely seen already.
Services include – but are not limited to – providing a turnkey operation, clinical engineering consulting on clinical flow, project management of construction, consulting services on equipment selection and procurement, accreditation process and consulting on import of equipment and regulatory requirements.
We provide full project management and installation of specialty patient treatment areas such as digital suites, imaging rooms and interventional suites.
For health care facilities
- Complete biomedical services
- Medical equipment management
- On-site presence
- Consulting on equipment purchases
- Consulting on redevelopment or
- Medical equipment database
- Asset management
- Online access to equipment database.
For distributors and OEM manufacturers
- Asset management
- Recall management and reporting
- Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration consulting and administration including listing of devices on the ARTG
- Complete management of medical equipment to AS/NZS3551 compliance
- On-site or return to base repairs
- 24 hour on-call service
- Preventive maintenance scheduling and implementation
These services can be provided as a ‘back of house’ operation or we can manage the entire service operation for you.
For the construction industry
- Medical gas design and construction
- Laboratory gas design and construction
- Integrated theatre design and installation
- Electrical commissioning of patient areas
- Review of electrical drawings for patient areas
- Consulting on standards compliance
- Project management
- Turn-key operation
- Installation of surgical lights and pendants
- Manufacture and installation of structural mounts for surgical lights and pendants
- Digital suites, interventional Imaging rooms and hybrid theatres.
Recent case studies
Mater Hospital, St Leonards NSW
Beyond biomedical engineering
The challenge: SC Medical were tasked to evaluate options for equipment tracking systems. From our experience at other facilities and our own research, we knew that RFID systems on the market at the time had too many drawbacks: size, battery life accuracy and consumption of wifi bandwidth. Therefore the search was expanded to other technologies.
SC Medical’s solution: After investigating all commercially available options, Bluetooth technology was chosen as the preferred solution. As a new technology there were limited commercially available systems, so SC Medical developed a pilot of a new system using our own in-house technical support. Following a successful trial, this system was widely endorsed by all hospital staff from CEO and General managers to Nursing managers, clinical staff and orderlies.
This trial has led to the commercialisation of the equipment tracking system as the Trakkers brand. Major benefits of Trakkers are better security of assets, improved staff utilisation and improved equipment utilisation.
Hospital for Specialist Surgery (HSS), Baulkham Hills NSW
From office block to surgical hospital
The challenge: SC Medical were engaged by the HSS group to provide biomedical consultation on the refurbishment and fit-out of a 5 story office block into a surgical theatre. This meant tackling the significant challenges of transforming a space not initially designed for clinical space into a functional hospital, fitted out with all the necessary equipment.
SC Medical’s solution: We consulted on space utilisation and designed hospital-specific plant equipment, including the installation of the first oxygen generator in Australia. Also within our role was advice on equipment selection, including sourcing and evaluating the benefits of importing medical equipment directly. This also entailed providing consulting services to list the equipment on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods to meet the group’s regulatory requirements. Finally, SC Medical was engaged in an ongoing capacity as the Biomedical on-site engineers, which initially required the acceptance testing and installation of over 1,400 items of medical equipment.